Society’s history in brief
• 1935 – A local historical
society was formed at a public meeting on 19th June. Functioned
until September 1936.
• 1950 – Public meeting in September
lead to further activity of a society.
• 1958 – First meeting of the Bendigo
Historical Society of Victoria, 6th November.
• 1977 – Location of the Society
in the historic 1858-era Survey Office ‘Dudley House’
in View Street.
• 1990 Incorporation as the Bendigo Historical
Society Inc. (11th May).
• 1999 – Bendigo City Council requested
Society vacate Dudley House while building renovated. Collection
stored off-site and not accessible to the public. After renovations
completed other uses were made of Dudley House. In conse-quence,
the Society met initially in a room at the Town Hall and, more
recently, in a room adjacent to the Library.
• 2003 – Establishment of working
space for cataloguing work upstairs in the Goldfields Regional
Library, Bendigo. Collection remains
in inadequate storage off-site.
Publication of the ‘Historic Guide to Bendigo’
• 2004 - Through its committee, the Society
continues to search for a permanent and suitable ‘home’
with provisions for meeting space and secure storage for its collection.
Computer and digital camera equipment purchased.
• 2005 – Major exhibition (‘Making
mounted at Dudley House for one month with large attendance figure.
• 2007 – The Society's collection moved into a secure environment in the de-commissioned Bendigo Gaol. This provided space for sorting and cataloging work by members and volunteers. A Significance Assessment was conducted by Lauretta Zilles and A Preservation Needs Assessment was conducted by Christine and Duncan Rolley
• 2009 - 2010 – In addition to our continual search for a permanent location, The Society was active in providing Collection Items for numerous exhibitions. These included The National Museum, The Post Office Gallery, The Central Deborah Mine and the Bendigo Library.
• 2011 –In May the BHS relocated to a new secure facility in Nolan Street , Bendigo . It provides optimum conditions for storing our historical documents, but we are continuing to attempt to gain suitable storage for our collection of 3-D items. Due to the lack of Public Access negotiations and searching continues for a suitable “Front of House” location
Art Exhibition Private
Fine Arts Exhibition at the Sandhurst
Mechanics Institute, 1869. In 1890 the Art Gallery moved to
what had been the Orderly Room of the Volunteer Rifle Corps
which remains part of the present Gallery complex in View